Corona Bus Accident Lawyers
Taking a bus is an everyday routine for people commuting to work, school, or running errands around California. Unfortunately, buses are exposed to roadway accidents like other vehicles on the road, leading to severe injuries and losses. Typically, buses are large passenger vehicles ferrying dozens of passengers, and any accident could result in considerable damage.
Whether it is a school bus, church bus, city bus, or tour bus, getting into an accident with other vehicles, motorcycles, trucks, or pedestrians can result in an injury. Fortunately, California law entitles victims of bus accidents to seek compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, hiring a skilled Corona personal injury lawyer is essential when pursuing financial recovery.
At Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers, we understand how complicated the legal process can be to seek compensation for your injuries after a bus accident. Our experienced Corona bus accident lawyer can help you gather critical evidence to support your claim and obtain the monetary relief you deserve. If you or your loved one has suffered injuries from a bus accident in Corona, get a free case consultation with us today.
Table of Contents
- What Are the Typical Causes of Bus Accidents in Corona, CA?
- Typical Injuries in a Corona Bus Accident
- Who Is Liable in a Bus Accident?
- Recoverable Compensation for a Bus Accident in Corona
- How Do I Pursue Compensation Against a Bus Company?
- Contact Our Corona Bus Accident Lawyers Today
What Are the Typical Causes of Bus Accidents in Corona, CA?
Several circumstances could result in a bus accident in the Corona area. Although most bus accidents happen because of driver errors, some crashes may occur due to certain conditions like the weather. Some common causes of bus accidents in Corona include:
#1. Reckless Driving
Bus drivers often undergo rigorous training to drive with extreme caution, especially when navigating narrow, high-traffic roadways. The intent is to provide passenger safety for everyone on board. However, drivers who drive recklessly tend to cause accidents, leading to injuries to passengers on board and other road users. Some reckless driving behaviors that might lead to a bus accident include speeding, cutting off other road users, and not paying attention to traffic signals.
#2. Distracted Driving
Bus drivers are more likely to get distracted while driving and cause accidents. For instance, a bus driver may get distracted by a passenger or when turning on the air conditioning, resulting in a rear-end collision. In addition, since buses are larger and much heavier than other passenger vehicles, they can easily drift off the road when the driver gets distracted. A head-on bus collision or drifting off the road can significantly injure passengers on board.
#3. Driving Under the Influence
Bus drivers may not drink or use substances that impair their judgment. If a bus driver is intoxicated, they are likely to cause an accident and lead to injuries to passengers on board. Bus accidents that happen due to intoxicated drivers are often avoidable, and the driver is usually held liable for damages caused.
#4. Mechanical Issues
Bus companies must keep detailed maintenance logs for all their business. Buses must undergo regular maintenance to avoid mechanical issues that can cause accidents. However, some companies skip or fail to inspect their passenger buses, resulting in accidents caused by faults in the bus.
#5. Driver Fatigue
Bus drivers who overwork tend to become fatigued, reducing their attentiveness while on the road. As a result, they may drive carelessly or serve between lanes, increasing the risk of causing an accident. Most bus accidents resulting from driver fatigue, especially when the driver dozes off, can lead to catastrophic and severe injuries and significant property damage.
Typical Injuries in a Corona Bus Accident
California law defines a bus as a vehicle designed, maintained, or used to carry more than 15 people, including the driver. Hence, buses carry significantly more people than any passenger car.
Because of this large number of passengers, those traveling on a bus are at a higher risk of injury if it crashes. Besides, transit buses lack seatbelts and usually carry multiple passengers, increasing the severity of injuries in case of an accident.
That said, bus accident victims may suffer various injuries, including:
- Head and brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Impalement injuries
- Burn and scarring injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Whiplash injuries
- Wrongful death
Other than riders on the bus, occupants of other vehicles involved in the crash and pedestrians may also suffer injuries. Some bus accident injuries result in a victim’s wrongful death. If you suffer injuries from a bus accident, seeking compensation can help your recovery process. A skilled Corona bus accident lawyer can help you obtain a reasonable settlement covering losses.
Who Is Liable in a Bus Accident?
A bus accident may involve several parties. However, the bus driver’s negligence is critical when filing a bus accident claim.
Liable parties in a bus accident case may include:
- The bus driver: Driver negligence, recklessness, and careless actions are the leading factors to consider in a bus accident claim. Distracted driving, fatigued drivers, and intoxication are some issues that can make the bus driver entirely responsible for a bus accident.
- The bus company: Private bus companies can be held accountable for the wrongdoing or negligence of bus drivers. For instance, company records may prove extensive violations of rules meant to protect their drivers, passengers on board, and the public.
- A public transit authority: You can hold the local government handling public transportation liable if the bus driver causes an accident due to negligence. Typically, a bus managed by the local government and involved in an accident exposes the transit authority to liability.
- A school district: If a school bus accident injured you or your child, you can seek compensation from the school district. You can also hold private schools that bus students accountable for bus accidents.
- Third parties: Based on the circumstances leading to a bus accident, third parties can be liable for damages and injuries. They include service providers or mechanics that handle bus maintenance, bus manufacturers, government agencies responsible for road safety, and other road users.
Determining liability in a bus accident claim is difficult, mainly in cases involving private carriers. At Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers, we can help you prove liability and get compensated fairly.
Recoverable Compensation for a Bus Accident in Corona
Bus accidents have a higher rate of serious injuries given the number of victims onboard and the damage the vehicle can cause. The recovery should cover your injury and losses sustained due to the accident.
Some recoverable compensation after a bus accident includes:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Out-of-pocket costs to cover damages
Suppose your loved one died due to injuries sustained in the accident. In that case, California law allows surviving family members to pursue a wrongful death claim and receive compensation from the responsible party. For a wrongful death claim, you can recover funeral and burial expenses, medical expenses before your loved one’s death, and loss of financial support. Families can also pursue non-economic damages, including loss of comfort, companionship, and care.
California law also allows bus accident victims to seek punitive damages depending on certain conditions. Working with a Corona bus accident lawyer at Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers can help you present convincing evidence, proving that the other party disregarded the safety of others. From this evidence, the court may award punitive damages to punish the liable parties in your bus accident.
How Do I Pursue Compensation Against a Bus Company?
Filing a lawsuit against any private business can be daunting, and a bus company is no exception. Despite having every right to take legal action against a negligent bus company that caused your injuries, the company and its insurance provider have an advantage over you. These parties have the resources, experience, and money to refute your claims if you lack legal representation.
At Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers, we fight for your rights against aggressive bus companies and their insurer. Our goal is to ensure you get peace of mind during the recovery process and let our lawyers handle legal matters on your behalf.
Some complexities our Corona bus accident lawyers handle include:
- Investigate the cause of the accident
- Determine the at-fault party
- Establish if your claim is eligible for compensation
- Assess the severity of your injuries and their impact on your life
- Calculate and estimate the value of your compensation
- File several claims on your behalf
How Do I Pursue Compensation Against a School District?
Filing a bus accident claim against a school district is taking legal action against the government. As a result, you need to familiarize yourself with special rules that apply when seeking compensation.
For instance, if you suffer injuries in an accident involving a school bus or city bus, the below rules often apply:
- Government entities like school districts or public transit agencies are held liable for the employee’s negligence.
- Based on the government entity responsible for the crash, you must file a bus accident claim with the city or county, including the Office of Risk and Insurance Management, a section of the California Department of General Services.
- You must file your bus accident claim within six months of the accident.
When seeking financial recovery against a school district or government agency, you may consider filing a lawsuit to recover damages. Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers have extensive experience handling bus accident claims associated with a school district. Our Corona bus accident lawyers can help ensure your claim is filed precisely and on time.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Bus Accident Claims in Corona?
California law has a statute of limitations for victims who suffer injuries and damage from bus accidents. The statute of limitations depends on who owns the bus, including where the accident occurred. For example, if a county or city bus caused your injuries, you have a six-month statute of limitations to file your claim. However, if a bus owned by an independent contractor or private company injured you or someone you love, you have two years to file for compensation.
If a person injured on the bus is under 18 years old, the statute of limitations can increase. However, if you fail to file your claim by the deadline, you cannot recover compensation. Therefore, hiring a Corona bus accident lawyer at Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers can ensure you file your claim on time and avoid missing the deadline.
How a Corona Bus Accident Lawyer Can Help
Bus accidents can be fatal and significantly damage passengers on board, vehicles involved in a crash, and injure other motorists and pedestrians. Although victims are entitled to compensation, the legal process can be daunting and costly.
At Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers, our competent Corona bus accident lawyers can:
- Gather critical evidence to support your claim
- Establish if your bus accident case is eligible for compensation
- Protect your rights and represent your best interests in and out of court
- Provide professional legal advice and counsel regarding your legal options
- Ensure you obtain maximum and fair compensation
- Take your case to trial when necessary
Contact Our Corona Bus Accident Lawyers Today
If you or your loved one sustains injuries caused by a negligent bus driver, a Corona bus accident lawyer can assist you in seeking financial recovery. At Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers, we understand how complicated and time-consuming it can be to pursue a bus accident claim. Contact us today at (951) 523-0000 for your free case evaluation with an experienced Corona bus accident lawyer.
Yarian Corona Bus Accident Lawyer Corona, CA Office Location1611 Pomona Rd #222
Corona, CA 92878
Phone: +1 951-523-0000