Do’s and Don’ts After an Accident in Burbank
Because accidents are so sudden, they can leave individuals in shock. However, to increase the chances of holding the at-fault party accountable, it is necessary to gather the right information and follow the correct protocols. Consulting with a personal injury attorney following an accident can help you mitigate this process.
Burbank Attorney Explains Do’s and Don’ts After an Accident
Every minute counts after being involved in an accident. In order to receive fair compensation for your injuries, you need to make sure to take the right steps. A personal injury attorney can walk you through each of those steps.
Our attorneys at Yarian Accident & Injury Lawyers, APC are seasoned at helping victims of accidents recover a favorable settlement. We will fight aggressively for your rights. Call us at (818) 459-4999 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys or fill out an initial contact form.
Do’s and Don’ts After an Accident Information Center
Do’s After an Accident
- Do Gather Evidence — To prove liability you must present evidence (i.e., photos, videos, receipts) that suggests there was negligence on the other party’s side.
- Do Collect Witness Information— Collecting witness information may not come easily but having another person there who can claim to have seen what you saw is priceless. Do not underestimate the potential of a witness, as it can increase your chances of proving liability greatly.
- Do Obtain a Police Report (if possible)—A police report provides official recognition of the accident and details which will be needed for your case. Police reports can also come with citations, and if the other party was given a citation, it can be a huge advantage for you.
- Do Hire an Attorney—Hiring an attorney is most recommended because the attorney can provide the necessary experience to obtain the highest settlement in your favor.
- Do Seek Medical Attention Right Away. Always seek medical attention to document your injuries following an accident. Even if you do not feel symptoms right away, a doctor’s evaluation is much more reassuring. It is also very common to start experiencing pain a few days after an impact). It can also be harder to claim compensation for an injury if you had previously stated you had no injuries following the accident.
- Do Share as Much Information as Possible with your Attorney— Share with your attorney as much detail about the accident as possible. Your attorney needs to be aware of all details, so they can be best prepared to handle your claim.
Don’ts After an Accident
- Don’t Accept a Cash Payment at the Scene of the Accident— Accepting a cash payment at the scene of an accident may appear as the quickest way to get over the accident and move on, however you may be risking thousands of dollars in compensation and medical aid. You cannot accept a random amount without knowing how much your damages will be following the accident. Medical costs and other damages may be higher than expected, so you may end up paying out of pocket if you agree on cash payment.
- Don’t Settle a Claim without Speaking to a lawyer First— Speak to a legal professional about your case before accepting a settlement. Insurance companies are quick to settle after an accident. They know that prolonging a case means that you may seek medical care and possibly hire an attorney. An experienced attorney can advise you on the right amount for your settlement. They can let you know if you are on the right path or you if you are selling yourself short.
- Don’t Try to Represent Yourself— If you are not experienced in the matter, representing yourself can be less than beneficial. Instead, speak to an attorney who knows the laws and the potential of a case like yours.
- Don’t Mess with Potential Evidence— Collecting pictures, witness information, and other documentation is key to your case. However, as you move on from the accident, be sure to conserve all the physical evidence that may be overlooked, such as wounds, car damage, property damage, etc.
- Don’t Admit Fault— If the other party pushes you to admit fault, it can limit the amount of compensation you are eligible to receive.
- Don’t Overshare Information with Others— Oversharing information with others like your lawyer is fine, however, oversharing too much with individuals not involved in your case can affect you negatively. For example, if you suffer an accident at work, talking to your co-workers about it may get back to the company administrator and be subjected to scrutiny during court.
- Do not post pictures of yourself on Social Media sites or post details about the accident. These can all be used against you in court.
What To Do Following An Accident | California Department of Insurance – The California Department of Insurance gives an overview of the steps to take following an accident. The table of Contents includes tips and responses to commonly asked questions.
Dignity Health | Common Car Accident Injuries – The Dignity Health website provides an overview of the most common car accident injuries. Though you should seek medical attention to reassure you have not sustained any injuries, these are common symptoms for which you should seek attention right away.
Burbank Lawyer Explains Do’s and Don’ts After an Accident
Taking the right steps following an accident is necessary to increase your chances of receiving a good settlement following an accident. What you do or do not can greatly add to your case or reduce the probability of proving liability.
Call (818) 459-4999 to schedule a consultation or fill out a free case review form on our site.