(844) 291-1911

Uninsured or Underinsured Accidents

uninsured accident lawyerWhen another driver hits your vehicle, you expect their insurance company to pay for all damages. But what if the other driver has no insurance? Driving without auto insurance is illegal in the state of California. However, a study conducted by the Insurance Research Council in 2015 showed California as the 12th state with the highest number of uninsured drivers. Even though research suggests improvement from previous years, 15% of drivers in California are still uninsured.

Drivers with uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage who get hit by a person with limited or no insurance can file a claim with their insurance company. However, most insurance companies have limitations on payouts and aren’t willing to fight for the full amount of your damages. Contact a car accident lawyer with experience pursuing liability in car accidents to claim your property.

Car Accident Attorney in Los Angeles

You increase your chances of receiving a higher settlement when you file an insurance claim with the help of an attorney. Insurances look for the best interest of their clients. However, an attorney is there to represent you and your needs. Attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC are dedicated to their clients and will do everything to get favorable results in return.

Call (844) 291-1911 to schedule a meeting with Levik Yarian. Levik Yarian is an experienced attorney who works on vehicle accident cases with thought and care. Yarian & Associates, APC works with clients in areas such as Los Angeles County and Tulare County.

Overview of Uninsured or Underinsured Accident 

Accidents with Uninsured or Underinsured Driver

California is a fault (tort) state. A fault (tort) state means everyone involved in an accident must file an insurance claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

What do you do if the driver is uninsured? Well, if you have uninsured/underinsured auto insurance, you can file a claim with your own insurance company. Uninsured/underinsured insurance should provide the following:

  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury: UMBI coverage pays for injuries sustained to all passengers in an accident with an at-fault, uninsured driver. The limit is generally the same as your liability coverage.
  • Uninsured motorist property damage: UMPD insurance covers vehicle damage up to $3,500. Vehicle damage will not be covered, though, if the uninsured driver is unidentifiable. Also, you may not need this coverage if you have collision insurance.
  • Underinsured motorist: UIM coverage pays limited costs for bodily injury

You may have to file a lawsuit for the remaining cost of damages when underinsured/uninsured coverage is not enough. Contact a car accident attorney if you plan on doing so.

What if I Don’t Have Uninsured/Underinsured Auto Insurance?

California does not require drivers to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Because of this, many drivers carry minimum liability coverage. So, what do you do if you are in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver, and you do not have the proper coverage?

You can file an uninsured/underinsured driver claim to a civil court to seek compensation for your injuries and property damage. You must submit a personal injury lawsuit within two years from the date of your injuries. The court will require you to prove the other driver’s negligence is what led to your injuries. Negligence can include speeding, distracted driving, or driving under the influence.

If your case is successful, the court will grant you economical and non-economic damages. As the name implies, economic damages are used to compensate damages with a monetary value such as medical bills and auto repairs. Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are not quantifiable and do not have a monetary value. Common examples of non-economic damages can include suffering and mental anguish. You will need the guidance of an experienced attorney who will fight to ensure you receive full compensation.

Dos and Don’ts After an Uninsured/Underinsured Accident

Auto accidents can leave you shook and disoriented, but there are crucial steps you can take following an uninsured driver accident.

Listed below are some of the dos and don’ts after an accident with an uninsured driver:

  • Don’t just talk it out. Instead,call the police: The other driver might refuse to call the police because he knows he might receive a citation for lack of insurance. However, notifying the police is crucial in an accident with an uninsured driver. The police report will help support your claim and make the claims process run much smoother.
  • Do gather information: The driver may not have auto insurance, but you will still need their contact information and vehicle details. It’s also essential you collect contact information from any witnesses.
  • Don’t accept money: It’s illegal to drive without auto insurance. To avoid legal repercussions, the uninsured driver may offer you money. You have no idea what your injury costs and property damage may be, so hold off on accepting money.
  • Do take photos: You will need to capture all damage to every vehicle involved in the accident. You should also take pictures of the driver’s license plate, nearby traffic signs, and the direction each vehicle was going.

The most crucial step to take following an auto accident should be to contact a personal injury attorney. A car accident attorney is familiar with vehicular accidents and can ensure all necessary steps are to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.

Additional Resources

Auto Insurance Information Guide | California Department of Insurance – Auto insurance is designed to cover the cost of damages following an accident. Follow the link provided by the California Department of Insurance to view information on auto insurance in the Golden State. You can find out how much insurance you need, what happens if you have a high-risk driving record and a summary of different coverages.

Uninsured Drivers by State – Driving without auto insurance is on the rise in the United States. Visit car insurance.com to view stats on uninsured drivers in the U.S. You can find out which states have the highest number of uninsured drivers and see how California compares.

Car Accident Lawyer in Glendale, CA

Were you in an auto accident? Is the at-fault driver uninsured or underinsured? If so, it is in your best interest to seek a car accident attorney. Yarian & Associates, APC can help you obtain the compensation you’re entitled to by submitting a case on your behalf.

Yarian & Associates, APC assist clients in areas such as Glendale, Los Angeles, Visalia, Riverside, Fresno, Irvine, and San Bernardino. Call (844) 291-1911 to schedule a consultation with the attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC.

Client Testimonials