Los Angeles is home to some of the most beautiful ocean views. Many tourists and residents spend the afternoon renting or using their own bikes to navigate these sunny areas. Annually 1,000 Americans die in bicycle accidents. Most of these crashes involve one or more motor vehicles.
Cyclists understand that they need to be careful. However, some accidents happen due to the negligence of other drivers. Nationally, hundreds of thousands of additional cyclists are injured in bike accidents. Bike crash injuries can range from bumps and bruises to serious life-long head injuries.
If you suffered a serious injury or your loved one was killed in a bicycle accident, a personal injury attorney experienced in bicycle accident cases can be your best resource.
Los Angeles Lawyer for Bicycle Accidents, CA
Yarian & Associates, APC wants to support you and the bike community. We understand bicycle accident laws and have a collective two decades of experience practicing personal injury. If you were recently injured in a bicycle accident, you should seek an experienced bike crash attorney.
The attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC can evaluate your claim and see if you are eligible for compensation. Few bicycle crashes are minor. A motor vehicle striking a bicycle can result in serious injury. No person should suffer without help. Call Yarian & Associates, APC, we accept clients throughout the California Central District Court and adjoining areas including Long Beach, Irvine, Los Angeles, Riverside, Visalia, Glendale, and San Bernardino.
Let us guide you through this process so you can recover. Dial (844) 291-1911 or submit an online form for a free consultation.
Overview of Bicycle Accidents in California
Bicycle Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) releases reports about bicycle crashes each year. In 2014 the NHTSA released the following:
- Average age of bicyclists killed in bike crashes are 45;
- Twenty percent of the fatal bicycle accidents happened during 6 P.M. and 9 P.M;
- 726 Americans were killed in bicycle accidents during 2014;
- The state of California has the second-highest number of bicycle accident fatalities;
- Nineteen percent of those who were killed had blood alcohol concentrations (BAC) of 0.08 or higher;
- Seventy one percent of bike accidents occur in urban areas; and
- Bicycle collisions with cars accounted for one-third of all reported bicycle accident injuries.
Common Causes for Bicycle Accidents
The most common cause of cyclist injuries and fatalities is being hit by a car, truck, or another motor vehicle. Though these accidents occur in many ways, some of the most dangerous scenarios for Los Angeles bikers include:
- Striking or being struck by a car pulling out of an alley, driveway, or small street;
- Collisions at intersections, with or without traffic controls such as stop signs;
- Unsafe roadway conditions;
- Vehicles who are merging and changing lanes;
- Having a car door opened into the cyclist’s path (known as “dooring” accidents);
- A car making a turn into the bicyclist, or the biker’s path (known as a “right hook” or “left cross”);
- Motorists not giving bicyclists enough room on roadways; and
- Being rear-ended by a motor vehicle.
Likely Injuries Sustained in a Bike Crash
Even when a bicyclist is equipped with helmets, reflectors, and other safety gear they may get into an accident. When a bike crash happens it is incredibly likely that the bicyclist will have severe injuries.
Some common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Concussions and closed-head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Leg, arm, and rib fractures
- Organ injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Road rashes
Compensation for Los Angeles Bike Accident Injuries
In a bike crash, injuries or death can even occur. Often times, the negligence of a driver or another person or entity. The injured party of the accident is generally entitled to damages. These damages may include:
- Reimbursement for medical expenses;
- Payment of future medical bills;
- Compensation for lost income and projected future losses; and
- Pain and suffering
Depending on the specifics of your case, you may be entitled to additional damages. Compensation can never recover a loved one or your health entirely. However, compensation can give you the breathing room you need to heal and pay for the burdens the crash created in your life.
Determining Liability in Bike Accident Cases
Drivers cause injury to bicyclists in many ways, including:
- Failing to see the cyclist due to distracted driving;
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions;
- Braking suddenly, not allowing the cyclist time to adjust his route;
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol; and
- Straying into the bicycle lane
In some cases, the bicyclist also contributes to the accident. Even if you are at fault, a practiced personal injury attorney can help you get a settlement for your injuries. Under California law, an injury victim may recover in proportion to the other party’s fault, even if he or she bears most of the responsibility
If a judge or jury were to determine that the bicyclist was 30 percent responsible, the injured bike rider could still recover 70 percent of the damages sustained. If the biker is found to have been 55 percent responsible, he or she could recover 45 percent of the total damages.
If you have been injured or someone you know has been killed in a bike crash, you may still be able to recover damages.
California Leads the Nation in Bicycle Deaths – Read the LA Time’s article on bicycle deaths in California. See the reasons why it seems to be on the rise and measures the state is going through to remedy the situation.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center – Visit the Pedesterian and Bicycle Information Center, a non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life in communities through the increase of safe walking and bicycling as a viable means of transportation and physical activity.
Bicyclists and Other Cyclists – Visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s report on bicyclists and cyclists. See facts, fatalities by state and city, and important safety reminders for bicyclists.
Our Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
When you’ve been seriously injured or lost a family member, the last thing you need is to divert your attention to legal issues. The bicycle accident attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC can manage your personal injury claim so that you can focus on recovering and rebuilding.
Yarian & Associates, APC can manage your personal injury claim so that you can focus on recovering and rebuilding. Our attorneys will advocate aggressively for you and help you get what you deserve. With our collective two decades of personal injury experience, we help clients in the greater Los Angeles County and Tulare County area including Visalia, Glendale, Long Beach, Pasadena, Santa Monica, and Irvine.
Our attorneys have had cases involving law, state, and transportation officials in the Los Angeles-Long Beach area including the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT), the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), the Glendale Police Department, the Office for the Los Angeles County Sheriff, the Pasadena Police Department, the Office for Tulare County Sheriff, and the Long Beach Police Department
Call (844) 291-1911 right now to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help.
This article was last updated on June 19th, 2018