Any sort of injury is upsetting. A child injury, however, is almost always worse as the victim is young and less capable of protecting themselves. It is tragic when a child is in any sort of preventable pain due to someone else’s negligence. California laws dictates that children who are victims of negligence or wrongdoing may be entitled to financial compensation.
Child injuries can arise from different types of circumstances and situations. It can range from motor vehicle accidents to school accidents, to medical malpractice and errors. Any kind of child injury can be overwhelming and leave parents or guardians upset. If your child has been injured due to another’s negligence it is best that you contact a personal injury attorney.
Los Angeles Lawyer for Child Injuries in California
Most children when they sustain injuries suffer much more than adults. Children should not have to be in pain because of another person’s carelessness or recklessness. It is best to approach these situations equipped and ready when it comes to your child. Contact the experienced attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC.
Our attorneys have over two decades of experience in handling civil court cases in California. We have litigated and negotiated for numerous child injury cases with positive results. Firm founder, Attorney Levik Yarian, has been able to procure millions of dollars in settlements in past personal injury cases. It is important to have an attorney on your side that is both experienced and passionate. Our attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC can be that for you. Yarian & Associates, APC represents clients throughout the greater California Central District Court area and adjoining cities including Long Beach, Los Angeles, Visalia, Glendale, Fresno, Irvine, Riverside, and Santa Monica.
Dial (844) 291-1911 or submit an online contact form for a child injury attorney at Yarian & Associates, APC today.
Overview of Child Injury Claims in California
Types of Child Injuries
Child injuries can be the result of many factors. Any situation where negligence causes a child injury is not acceptable, and the responsible party should be held liable. Injuries can be costly and result in a lot of pain and suffering.
Some common types of child injuries include:
- Bicycle Accidents – A child riding his or her bicycle should be a painless happy event. However sometimes motor vehicle drivers or unmaintained premises can result in an accident and/or injury. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 257,000 children are injured from bicycle accidents annually.
- Pedestrian Accidents – Children harmed in the street by a car, bicycle, motorcycle, or poorly kept premises can be devastating. CDC released a report stating that 167 fatal pedestrian child accidents happened in 2014.
- School Bus Accidents – Schools first requirement is to keep children safe. A bus driver should be careful and alert when transporting children to and from school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that in 2006 there were 17,000 children injured in school bus accidents.
- Playground Accidents – A playground or recreational premises should be maintained, supervised, and safe for children to navigate. The CDC states that more than 200,000 children younger than 14 are injured annually on playgrounds. A playground accident is nothing to laugh about either, the CDC also shows that 45 percent of playground injuries are severe.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Children harmed in motor vehicle accidents can face dangerous level of injuries. Parents or guardians of children injured in car accidents can face high medical bills, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and other medical costs. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that 240,000 children under the age of 16 are injured in car crashes ever year.
- Product Liability – Toys are required by law to be tested and regulated so they are safe for children to use. Parents of a child who is injured because of a toy, bike, or other product can seek compensation from the toy’s company or manufacturer. The CDC states that every three minutes; a child is treated in the emergency room for a toy-related injury.
- Birth Injuries – Doctors and medical personnel are trained and should be regulated to maintain safe medical practices when it comes to birth or pregnancies. A birth error or injury can result in lifelong conditions or injuries. Birth injuries can lead to disabilities and mental disorders that could have been preventable. The CDC reports that six to eight infants out of every 1,000 suffer from a birth injury.
- Dog Bites – Children are reportedly the most common victims for dog bite, taking up 42 percent of dog bite injuries in the United States. A dog occurring to a child is usually much more serious than to an adult.
- Sports Injuries – Children should be free to play sports on teams or recreationally without fear of injury. However, more than 3.5 million children 14 and younger are hurt annually while playing a sport. A sports injury can range from lacerations to traumatic brain injuries.
Monetary Compensation for Child Injury Cases
Parents or guardians, who file claims for their injured children, may be entitled to compensation. High medical costs and projected costs related to the injury can limit the family in helping the child recover. It is important in a child injury case to discuss the following elements:
- Who was responsible? Who had a duty of care to the child?
- Is there another party that is also at fault such as a school district, a hospital, or a product manufacturer?
- How severe is the injury? How much did it affect the child?
These elements can name a defendant on who is considered liable for the injury. Parents or guardians of a child who is injured, permanently or temporarily, may be able to recover compensate for damages. Some types of damages that may be subject to monetary compensation include:
- Past, present, projected medical costs
- Loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress stemming from the accident and injuries.
Los Angeles to Process Child Abuse Reports Online – Visit the website for The Chronicle of Social Change, an online news publication dedicated to solution-based news coverage of child welfare, mental health, juvenile justice, and educational issues for vulnerable children. Read an article by Jeremy Loudenback that details how the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) plans to transition into an online platform for reporting child abuse.
Child Abuse: Audrey Hepburn CARES Center – Visit the Los Angeles Children’s Hospital website to see more information about the Audrey Hepburn CARES Center which provides services for suspected victims of child abuse and their families. See how this organization engages in prevention, research, and education activities designated to accurately identify child abuse, assist community healthcare organizations, and improve treatment and after-care provided for victims.
Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) – Visit the Department of Children and Family Services in Los Angeles County. See the DCFS frequently asked questions on how to report child abuse, what to do when you see signs of child abuse, and what happens after a report is made.
Find a Child Injury Lawyer in Los Angeles, California
Is your child injured due to another’s negligence? Personal injury cases can be extremely complex, especially if you are relying solely on a child for any sort of testimony. It is advised that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Yarian & Associates, APC.
The attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC are aggressive in the courtroom and compassionate to their clients. Our attorneys are passionate about defending child victims. We want to be your partner in your child’s recovery and make sure the responsible parties are held liable. A child injury can be a sensitive topic, and we want to make sure that no child is hurt without consequence. Get an attorney who has years of experience in personal injury law. Yarian & Associates, APC represents clients throughout the greater Los Angeles County and Tulare County areas including nearby cities such as Pasadena, Santa Monica, Bell Garden, Los Angeles, Visalia, Irvine, and Riverside.
The attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC are familiar with transportation and law officials in the Los Angeles metropolitan area including the Tulare County Animal Services Department, the Long Beach Police Department, the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA), the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT), the Glendale Police Department, the Pasadena Humane Society’s Animal Control, the Long Beach Animal Control, the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners, the Office for Los Angeles County Sheriff, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) and the Glendale County Metropolitan Transit.
We cannot undo your child’s pain. However, we can hold the liable parties responsible. Contact the attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC at (844) 291-1911, or submit an online contact form today.
This article was last updated June 26th, 2018.