Bus Accident Attorney in Los Angeles
Due to the size of such vehicles, getting into an accident with a coach or transit bus can cause grave damages. You should not be the one covering the loss caused by someone else. You need to seek the help of a bus accident attorney if dealing with an accident caused by a bus.
The attorneys at Yarian & Associates, APC have proven experience representing clients injured in bus accidents. They will aggressively advocate on your behalf and make sure you receive maximum compensation. Call (844) 291-1911 to schedule a free consultation.
Yarian & Associates, APC represent clients in areas such as Glendale, Los Angeles, Visalia, Riverside, Fresno, Irvine, and San Bernardino.
Coach and transit bus accidents are uncommon for the most part. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported only 15,000 out of 983,231 buses were involved in injury crashes in 2017. However, when focusing on the number of people injured in a bus crash, the number is greater, at 25,000. The reality is that coach and bus accidents still occur and can often have more significant physical effects than a regular vehicle accident.
Buses are harder to maneuver than other vehicles, and they lack standard safety features such as seat belts and airbags. Injuries from bus accidents can also result in extraordinary medical expenses and lost wages.
You may have to sue the California Government depending on the type of bus that caused your injuries. The city government usually handles transit buses. Coach buses, on the other hand, are mostly managed privately. Either way, filing against a private coach or city-operated bus is daunting, and you should contact a bus accident lawyer to submit the case for you.
Overview of Coach/Transit Bus
- Who is Liable in a Bus Accident?
- California’s Personal Injury Laws
- Suing the California Government
- Additional Resources
Who is Liable in a Bus Accident?
Unlike car accidents, determining liability for a bus accident can be more complicated due to the number of parties involved.
Listed below are parties that may be liable in a coach or transit bus accident:
- The bus company: A bus company is responsible for maintenance of the vehicle. The company could be liable if they failed to properly maintain the vehicle, and people inside the bus or outside suffered an injury or death.
- Bus manufacturer: A bus is made up of many products such as engine parts, safety rails, and overhead storage. When these products are defective, it can result in devastating injuries. It’s up to the bus manufacturer to ensure such products are in perfect condition.
- Other drivers: Many drivers will make quick maneuvers to get around the bus, which can lead to an accident. Other drivers can also be distracted or under the influence while driving near a bus.
- Pedestrians: Many walkers and cyclists believe they always have the right of way. While this may be the case in some situations, pedestrians must yield to vehicles on the road to avoid any hazards. But some will disregard this duty and walk or ride in front of a bus thinking it will stop. To avoid hitting the pedestrian, a bus driver will swerve and collide with other drivers or objects.
- The bus driver: A bus driver must operate the vehicle safely. They may be accountable if they operate the bus while under the influence, texting and driving, or exhibit reckless driving behaviors.
California’s Personal Injury Laws
You will be required to file a lawsuit within two years from the date of your injuries. This timeline is called a statute of limitations, and you will lose your right to compensation if you fail to file a claim within this time. You will also be responsible for proving the responsible party was negligent or committed an illegal act. A wrongful death claim is almost the same, except instead of injury the result was a fatality. Both personal injury and wrongful death go by the law of negligence.
According to California law, negligence is the failure to show a reasonable level of care in certain situations. Negligence can be the following:
- Failing to act in a way a reasonable person would have acted in the same case; or
- Acting in a way a reasonable person would not have acted in the same situation
You will be awarded compensatory damages if you successfully prove negligence. This compensation is used to cover damages incurred from the accident, such as medical bills and pain and suffering. Every case is different, so a thorough evaluation of your case is crucial.
Suing the California Government
You may have to sue the California Transit Association (Caltrans) to recover compensation for a transit bus accident. Suing the government can be intimidating, so you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. It’s also vital you act fast when suing the government. You only have six months from the date of your injuries to file a lawsuit against a public entity. The statute of limitations is the same for a wrongful death claim.
You are required to submit a notice of claim whenever you plan to sue the government. This claim does not initiate the lawsuit. Instead, it notifies Caltrans, for example, you intend to sue them in the future. The agency who you file against has 45 days from the date of filing your claim to respond. If the claim is accepted, the agency in charge will try to negotiate with you themselves. However, if the agency rejects your claim, you are free to move your case through the civil court process. Government agencies to have certain protections against them. It is best to contact a bus accident attorney who knows those laws to file a lawsuit.
Bus Passengers | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration – Visit the official website of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to learn about bus passenger safety. You can research bus company safety, learn about onboard safety, and find additional safety resources. You can also gain access to additional bus safety information.
LA DOT Annual Report – Follow the link provided to read the most recent report from the City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation. You can search the city’s new plans for safety improvements. They plan to use technology to improve the public transportation sector.
Bus Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles County
You should be focused on recovery and not how you will cover the cost of your injuries. Let Yarian & Associates, APC fight for you. Through years of experience, Yarian & Associates, APC has won millions for their clients, and they want to do the same for you.
A coach or transit bus can be life-changing. Call (844) 291-1911 to schedule a time to speak with Yarian & Associates, APC. They represent clients in areas such as Los Angeles County and Tulare County.